Monday, December 1, 2008

Cranberries and Cinnamon

I first tasted homemade cranberry sauce only a few years ago and have been changed forever. I'd only known the schlooooopy, sloshy mess oozing out of a can with rings intact so it's easy to see why this magic escaped me. But oh, fresh cranberry sauce is now a favorite and I long for it every year. Our Thanksgiving hostess this year used a canned sauce. GASP! But, the first cinnamon-flavored bite of the Harry and David (can they do wrong?) sauce begged me to recreate it with the leftover cranberries. Most recipes call for at least a cup of sugar but I decided to sweeten it another way and chose frozen blueberries. This is going to be delicious on top of some Greek yogurt tonight, and a nice morning bowl of oatmeal tomorrow!


Cranberry-Cinnamon Relish
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
8oz fresh cranberries
4oz frozen blueberries
cinnamon to taste (
I like a lot!)

Bring water to a boil over medium head. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add cranberries and blueberries, return to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 10 more minutes or until cranberries burst. Add cinnamon, stir, remove from heat and let cool. Transfer sauce to refrigerator and let cool completely. The sauce will thicken as it cools.

2 comments:

StaceyKM (Princess & SweetPea) said...

This could forever change the way I feel about cranberry sauce also! Sounds yummy!

elaine said...

I wish I had found your blog before Thanksgiving. I've made cranberries like this but without the blueberries and cinnamon. This looks so yummy!!