Monday, January 12, 2009

A Run on Red Lentils

As I mentioned I ran out to get some groceries for the week trying to beat the storm. My first stop was the market two blocks away and on the way I was stopped by a sweet, elderly Russian gentleman who expressed grave concern at my lack of hat in the cold. That might have been the best part of the trip. The store looked like it had been ransacked in the night and it took more effort than I would have liked to make it out with two thirds of my list. And no Greek yogurt? What is the world coming to? It's a local market and I can understand that there are certain "oddball" items that they migh not carry, but was sad to see no kale (I wanted more chips!) and wilted, brownish asparagus. I hoped for a streak of luck in the beans aisle but alas, they had no red lentils. I dropped off the items I'd been able to find and hiked on up to Whole Foods thinking they'd surely have the red lentils and plantains I needed. I checked in the bean section and with no success there wandered over to the bulk items area. Unbelievably the ONLY thing they were out of was red lentils! How could this be? As it tends to go with WF I ended up with a couple of random items that weren't on the list but will definitely be enjoyed. By the time I got home I was ravenous. I'd purposely left a couple slices of pizza from the other night for lunch today and warmed up about a cup of Carrot Cashew Ginger soup. It wasn't as tasty as the Curried Red Lentil but was still palatable.


I was still pretty hungry after eating lunch but wanted to wait a couple minutes to make sure it was actual hunger, and after about fifteen minutes decided yes, it was time to add a little to the lunch so I cut up a carrot into some little sticks, had a few pita chips, and a spoonful of hummus.


This was the perfect amount to take the edge of but a couple hours later I'm pretty hungry again. Maybe it was the cold windy walk from this morning?

No comments: