Monday, January 5, 2009

Soup's On (and there's plenty more where that came from)

Wow. I made a rookie mistake. The grocery post below should explain it all. I pored over my two brand-new cookbooks carefully selecting meals for the week that would cover me through lunch and dinner taking into account servings per dish and making sure that each day was pretty balanced. I figured a soup, two salads, a pasta, and two tofu dishes might get me through the week. Look at all the leftovers from today's lunch!


Backing up a moment though, I made a spinach and lentil soup for lunch. It was ok, but not better than that. I was short on spinach and threw in a bit of kale to make up the bulk, but it's still definitely missing some major flavor. I'll blog the recipe for this one once I've figured out what it needs. Even adding some shredded Parmesan didn't add as much as hoped, but I have a couple more tweaks in mind.


I doubled up (quintupled, I think!) on the veggies with a roasted vegetable salad with a bit of mozzarella and parmesan. So tasty! Throw whatever veggies you have on hand (in this case zucchini, eggplant, tomato, red pepper, and a red onion) into a pan lined with cooking spray, toss with a bit of oil, basil, fennel, salt and pepper and pop in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. YUM!


I realized I hadn't added any grains so I popped a slice of whole-grain bread into the toaster and topped it with a little bit of cranberry sauce for a sweet finish.



I guess I have a lot of soup to look forward to!

No comments: