Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bad Blogger

For whatever reason I was just not in the mood to be creative yesterday, so let's catch up and then move on to today.

I woke up HUNGRY yesterday morning which usually means that by the time breakfast is ready I've lost all interest. I tried to keep it fairly light but make sure it was substantial with an egg sandwich with tomato and provolone on whole-grain bread, and an apple. I forget how filling apples are! I ate around 9:30 and didn't get hungry again until close to 3pm!


Lunch was the superstar of the day, though. The photo in the cookbook (New Vegetarian Cuisine, by Linda Rosenweig) was mouth-watering and the combination of black beans and citrus seemed just the tropical getaway lunch for a snowy day. The recipe stated that it served four, and I halved the recipe, but it was still HUGE.I ate half of the prepared salad over half a cup of barley. It's a breeze to prepare and will definitely become a summer staple.


Black Bean Citrus Salad
3 navel oranges, peeled, sectioned, and chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp black pepper

In large bowl combine oranges, black beans, kidney beans, cucumbers and onions. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, cilantro, and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to combine. Cover and chill at least 20 minutes.

If breakfast was filling, lunch was even more so. I wasn't truly hungry but felt bad not eating dinner and didn't want to get the late-night hungry attack so I reheated some of the roasted veggies and tossed them with some Trader Joe's gluten-free pasta. I probably could have eaten half of what was prepared but kept on eating anyway. Oh well, lesson learned. After dinner I wanted something sweet (again!) so I did the usual and had a couple chocolate chips.

No comments: