Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tasty Surprise

I just finished dinner and The Beanpole should be home any minutes so I spent the early evening hours scurrying about to get some things done. Lunch only held me for a couple of hours but I was running around and never bothered to fix a snack. Oops. I finally broke down and got a library card (long story, but for a brief time I was boycotting the CPL) and three books to keep me busy. I was hoping to find some bookson yoga philosophy but the local branch is sorely lacking in selection. I still managed to get books on some of my favorite topics though! One on India (subbing for yoga this time haha), cities and their importance, and of course, food. Ask me a question on any of those and you're likely to be stuck listening for hours and they're definitely my soapbox issues! Anyway. After safely tucking the books in my bag I headed back towards home with a scheduled stop to pick up some cat litter (always a pleasure) and ended up strolling through Cost Plus World Market for a couple minutes. They have such fun little food treats that I always make a pass to see if anything new has arrived. Not sure if these are new or not, but they have mini soup-boxes. I haven't seen these in my local store but they are absolutely perfect. These have been on my list to try but I hate committing to a large box not knowing how I'll like them. I picked up two interesting flavors - Cashew Carrot and Curried Red Lentil. Look how cute they are next to a "normal" size cereal box!


I picked up the litter and came home realizing how perfect the soup would be for dinner and started thinking about what to have with it that would be quick and easy since I still wanted to clean the house and make it sparkly. The Beanpole has some big trips coming up in the next couple of months and I want to be able to spend as much fun time with him as possible. By this point I was getting pretty hungry but it was too close to dinnertime to really make anything so I decided to wait and keep busy. The house is vacuumed, dusted, scrubbed, shined, and I even got the cookbook section of my bookshelf reorganized to make room for the ever-growing magazine and book collection. Then it was on to dinner!



I'm a sucker for a soup and "fancy" grilled cheese sandwiches with different cheeses and always a tomato so I popped a slice of whole-grain bread with the remainder of a plum tomato and slice of provolone under the broiler, started the soup, and sliced an apple to round the whole meal out. I meant to used the Cashew-Carrot soup but my constant curry craving brain hijacked my arm for a minute and I somehow ended up with the curried red lentil. The curry was a shock to my taste buds! Even more surprising however is that the sweetness of the apple seems to have curbed my normal post-dinner sweet-tooth!

No comments: