Saturday, January 10, 2009

That'll do, Pig. That'll do.

Lunch was just too too much food and too too salty. I've started to get into the habit of using leftovers as lunches and only preparing "new" dinners but I want to shake things up a bit going forward. I mean, it's good and less waste for me but it's really pretty boring. We're starting to run low on groceries that don't require full preparation and don't have much in the pantry as far as snacks are concerned so by the time lunch came around I was ravenous!


I decided to polish off the rest of the red lentil soup from last night and found that I hadn't quite used up half the container and ended up with about a cup and a quarter. It's so deliciously creamy I could eat it every day but like any pre-packaged soup the sodium content is a bit high.


I've been dying to try these kale chips since I saw them on Kath Eats Real Food and had a big bunch of kale in the fridge just waiting to crisp up. I love potatoes in any form, particularly crispy, so having a decent alternative would be helpful. The Beanpole returned from an errand and tried a couple and I was a little surprised when he said "Eh, they're not bad." He even pronounced the second one "pretty good"! I definitely over-salted this batch and will use a much lighter hand next time. These would be a great snack or accompaniment to a sandwich too.

In case the kale chip experiment failed miserably I wanted a backup plan and turned to just a basic slice of whole-grain bread with a slice of provolone under the broiler again. Easy, quick, and definitely filling. And what's better than a soup and grilled cheese sandwich on a snowy day?

No comments: